What is Atarax?
Atarax is a sedative drug used to treat anxiety and tensions by reducing the central nervous system activity. Atrax is used in combination with other medicines that are given for anesthesia. Atrax abstract is an antihistamine and it reduces the natural chemical histamine which produces the sneezing and runny nose symptoms in the body. This is also used to treat the skin allergy reactions such as hives or contact dermatitis.
What should you know before using atarax?
- Before using Atarax tell your doctor if you have the seizure disorder, any kidney diseases or liver diseases.
- Do not use Atarax if you are allergic to hydroxyzine because this is the active ingredient in atarax.
- Stop using Atarax immediately and call the doctor if you experience any side effects such as tremors, confusion, restless muscle movements in your eyes, jaw or neck or tongue and seizures.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while using atarax because it increases the side effects of Atarax.
- Tell your doctor if you have conditions such as glaucoma, heart disease or high blood pressure, thyroid disorder, epilepsy, enlarged prostate or problems with urination, asthma, emphysema, or other breathing problem stomach ulcer, blockage in your stomach or intestines, liver disease, or kidney disease.
- If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant do not use Atarax without consulting your doctor. Do not use this medication during breastfeeding.
How does it work?
Atarax is a drug commonly known as the first generation or sedating antihistamines and creates several impacts on the body. it works for itching by blocking the histamine receptors. Then it fights the anxiety by affecting some parts of the brain. Finally, it relaxes the skeletal muscles. The active ingredient in atarax has anticholinergic activity and this blocks the acetylcholine receptors and helps alleviate nausea. Before using Atarax tell your doctor about the medicines that you regularly use or if you have side effects of medicines such as cold or allergy to certain medicines, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers etc. it is best to discuss the medicines that you use on regular basics before using atarax.
Side effects of Atarax
Serious side effects
- Tremors- uncontrolled shaking
- Restless muscle movements
Mild side effects
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision